Thursday, January 29, 2009

3 D tatting or Sculptatting


Here are some photos of how I begin the 3D tatting. This was how I did the fairy boy you see in my slideshow. I usually make a ring of 6, then chain 2, then join into the "bridge" of the first double stitch on the right, finish this stitch with the second half of a ds. Chain one, join the next bridge.. etc. You keep doing this, around and around until, for instance for a small head, I get a circle of about 3/4 inch wide. Then I start to taper down, but only joining into the bridges, not adding any chain stitches. This is the way I do all the 3 D tatting, adding and subtracting double stitches as needed to make heads, hands, bodies, whatever. If I need to change thread, I just cut and hide the original thread, and add the new thread onto the next bridge. Clear as mud, huh? This is why I can't really write out a pattern. I am really not trying to keep this technique to myself, as it wasn't even created by me. It was created, as far as I know, by the late Angeline Crichlow. I have told many other tatters how to do it, but so far, I am the only one I know who does it. As it is rather like sculpting with thread, perhaps I should call it Sculptatting...


5 comments:

Jane Eborall said...

Fascinating. Thanks for the insight. Wish I had the patience to try it!!!

Ridgewoman said...

pwefffff Would that I just had the talent!
LOL Love it, and the explanation and photos are great...Ridgetatter

Unknown said...

Nifty! Somehow that word just doesn't say it all, but what I'm really trying to say is that your work is amazing.

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Jane, BJ and TattingChic!
You make me blush!
(BTW, TattingChic, sorry to use your internet name, but I just don't know your real name. :-(

Needledreams said...

Oh! That's so cool!!! I have wanted to do something like this, but I'm afraid it would be a mess. May be one day I'll be brave enough to try something. Thanks for the info!

My 3 D Tatting