Thursday, March 19, 2009

Ok, back to Tatting

These are the barefoot sandals I just created. What do you think?
The back story...about 25 years ago or so, I had these 'barefoot sandals' that I bought at a dime store. They were just elastic and beads, but so cute. Well, about 5 years ago, I thought, 'I could tat myself some!'. Well, as many good ideas go, it was put on a back burner. Recently while checking out Totusmel's blog(see link on side), I saw that she had made some lovely ones from tatting. (She has some wonderful stuff there and on Etsy, too.) Well, I decided, I had better take my idea off the back burner and cook it up now. This is what I came up with. Pretty simple, a flower with little butterflies holding on, and leaves at the bottom. I made these for my sister who loves butterflies, and red, for her upcoming birthday. (Don't worry, she NEVER reads my blog so this won't ruin the surprise). I am going to make myself some with a purple flower and bees. And I have thought, too, that a nice heart in the center would do nicely. I did, however, put felt on the back of the flower to help it hold it's shape without stiffening it. I know these are meant to be barefoot sandals, but look how cute they look with shoes!


10 comments:

Marilee Rockley said...

That is cute, and I like it with the shoes. Is the flower all tatted chains?

TotusMel said...

Ah, copycat! Just kidding, yours are lovely and so very colorful, which is totally the opposite of my style.

Tatenup said...

They are very cute. I had seen some in the Annies attic (crochet) a couple of years ago, and thought about making some. Then when I started taking Belly Dance classes, I saw the ones made out of beads and was going to make some. Haven't gotten there.... Well seeing yours and hers I think I will try to make some during my down time.

Tami in WA

Anonymous said...

Cool....

Sharon said...

They're adorable.

Ridgewoman said...

Oh, how pretty! The other day my graddaughter decided to give Oma a full pedicure complete with waxing ~ ummmm how nice to be so spoiled (Happens about once a year! LOL; although, she does pedicure for me monthly). Anyway, my feet are nice enough now to actually wear something like that as I'm barefoot all the time (beind in bed) anyway...She does get on a 'roll' and paint my toenails from time to time. Very pretty work ~ as usual. I love looking at your tatting. Bev

victats@gmail.com said...

Love it! I'm drooling over them right now!

battatter said...

Thanks so much for all the wonderful comments everyone!
and yes, Marilee, they are all chains. I had to ad the felt to make them stable, 'cos they wanted to stretch out.
And Pamela, I am glad you like them. I love your black ones, and may do my own version, but I wanted these for a more "spring/summer" look.:-)

battatter said...

Funny, BJ,
I just "did" my Mom's toes, and she said when I got finished... "don't make me a pair of those foot things,.."
I guess they aren't for everyone!

Bonnie said...

Cute!

My 3 D Tatting