Sunday, April 3, 2011

Ta dah! Project revealed!

                                    Ok...here it is finished. It is a Marbled Orb spider necklace.

The back story.. last year I found THE  most beautiful spider I had ever seen in my yard. I found out
it was a Marbled Orb Weaver.  I had this idea of making this body look like hers, enclose it in tatting, tat the head and legs, and make a web necklace for her to hang from.
Well, Marbled Orb weavers are yellow, and I didn't have any yellow clay, so I just made
her from green. ( I never wear yellow anyway).
Here is a picture of the real one...
Mine is no way as beautiful as the real thing, but I like it anyway. Next time I am in Lafayette, I am
going to get some yellow clay! I may even add some black to the legs of mine. I like the web necklace, but it hangs funny, so I have to stiffen it. More pictures to come.

5 comments:

Ridgewoman said...

What a cool inspiration and good result. I like yours, too! Keep thinking, friend...keep thinkin’ xx bj

IsDihara said...

Gah, that Orb Weaver creeps me out. But your tatting does her proud! It is a great bit of tatting. Even more impressive is your clay bead work. Marvelous job taking your inspiration and making it a reality.

Gina said...

LOL! I like spiders myself. You could paint your clay yellow.

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

Very cool! Will you be wearing it to Lace Day?

Carol Schockling Lawecki said...

Fantastic Carol! You are so creative. Love the web and the tatted spider!! The real spider is pretty cool too. I saw a similar spider in my garden the other year but it was just yellow & black on the body, there was no brown.

My 3 D Tatting