Thursday, March 30, 2023

Halloween crafting has begun!

When I told my sister I was going to make a skull afghan, she asked "Why?" I said, "Because I want one." Pretty basic reason for all the crafting we do,right? To be fair, I do have a vintage Afghan on my couch… You know granny squares of different colors with a black border. I got it at a yard sale or somewhere. But I have seen these afghans with skull centered granny squares and I have always wanted one so I have decided to make myself one. I found a couple of free patterns on Ravelry, but they both involved a lot of cutting and tying, which, I wasn't willing to do, and one of the patterns I could'nt even figure out. I tried over and over and could not make head or tails out of the directions. So, I sat down the first night, and figured out how to make a square with only three cuts. One per row. I started the first night making 12 skulls. Just the skulls. The next day I started adding edgings on each one. By the third day I had finished 19 squares completely, and have several skulls waiting to be edged! Since the pattern is so simple, I can just sit and watch TV in the evening and do them. I decided to make each square three different colors, as I do enjoy the day of the dead decorations with all the different colors. I also made myself a little dowel rod holder form for the squares. As I finish each one, and I put them on the holder to sort of stretch and hold them in place so they will all be approximately the same size. Here are a couple pictures of some completed squares and my holder. I will post more later as I get deeper into making this…

No comments:

My 3 D Tatting